Cucumbers are one of the best foods which are known to beat summer heat also giving a cooling effect to the body however the culinary world does not seem to give this the respect it actually deserves by using it only for salads or at times only for garnishing purpose of any curry. It is a belief that cucumber has its origins from northern India and also is given fourth place among all the
vegetables which are mostly cultivated across entire world.
While the top three places have been given to tomatoes, cabbage and onions however Cucumber is said to be super food owing to the qualities of this vegetable which belong to the family of gourd named Cucurbiticeae which has other fruits like melons and squashes.
Two types of cucumbers are available in the market there are slicing cucumbers for raw consumption and pickling cucumber to make pickles are grown across the world, it is also easy to spot difference between these two varieties of cucumber. While the pickling cucumbers have thin bumpy skins are much smaller in size when compared to slicing cucumbers which have thicker skin and are large in size.
Cucumber is one of the foods which have lesser calories since one full cup of this vegetable will only give 15 calories making it one of the healthiest options for snacks. Apart from having lesser calories this vegetable also has several nutrients like Calcium, Vitamin B1, A, C, B6, K and D along with Folate, Magnesium and Potassium.
Benefits which can be gained from this vegetable include:
- Helps in body hydration:This is one such vegetable which has 96% of water content making it more nutritious than even a pure glass of water hence it is known to keep the body hydrated and keeping an eye on the body temperature by removing any unnecessary toxins from the body.
- Fights cancer:Pinoresinol, lariciresinol and secoisolariciresinol are the 3 lignans which are known to fight any type of cancer among Uterine cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer and prostate cancer. All the lignans listed above are present in abundance in cucumber vegetable.
- Controls blood pressure:Presence of important minerals like magnesium, potassium and fiber are known to keep check on blood pressure which can either be both high and low. For those suffering with blood pressure can use one glass full of cucumber juice to treat it without any additional need of medicines.
- Get healthy teeth and gums:Infected inflammation of tooth sockets and gums is a type of infection to pyorrhea which often loosens the teeth which can be easily treated with cucumber. When cucumber rubs against teeth and gums their health improves due to dietary fiber present in cucumber also cucumber can be rubbed on palate for about 30 seconds to remove any bad breath.
- Enhances digestion:Any digestion problems like heartburn, gastritis, stomach ulcers and acidity are known to be effectively treated with cucumbers which are often referred to be burpless since they are known to prevent any burps and chronic constipation on regular consumption.
- Treats arthritis pain:Anti-inflammatory properties are known the reason for cucumber being successful in treating those suffering from arthritis and gout. For even better results it is suggested to go with the juice which is made by mixing cucumber and carrots which would lessen the pain by lessening uric acid levels.
- Promotes heart health:Important compound sterols in cucumber is known to lessen cholesterol levels which in turn increases heart health apart from which any of the heart diseases can be resolved by Folatewhich is known to lessen the homocysteine levels also lessening the risk of any heart diseases.
- Works against:diabetes and removes Kidney stones: Cucumber when made into juice has a particular hormone which is necessary for pancreas to produce insulin also the diuretic properties of cucumber are known to either dissolve the kidney and bladder stones or they can also be removed from it.
- Treats headache:Any hangover or headache can be prevented by eating certain slices of cucumber before going to bed.
- Beauty:Anti-aging properties of cucumber is due to anti-oxidants like manganese, Beta carotene and Vitamin C in them also they are known to help in skin tightening. Also cucumber is known to also help in removal of any puffiness under eyes, treating sun burns, silican in cucumber also is known to help in hair and nail health.
Cucumber is also suggested food for those who want to lose weight and help them in keeping their body fit since it is known to give the feeling of being full and also keeps the body hydrated. Cucumber can be included in diet daily either in the form of salads, soups or even lemonade prepared from them which is advantageous exclusively during summer.
Like us on Facebook →